Build a Fence to 20
Perfect to play in kindergarten or first grade, here is a free math game for learning to count groups of objects to 20.
Students will match a numeral card to a set that they count!
All you need to use alongside the printable game mats and number cards are craft sticks!
It make a fun and open-ended small group activity lesson.
- use 2 standard dice, roll and add - with students building a fence that shows the total
- roll a single die and make it cumulative - beginning to develop an understanding of addition and how to make 20
- let students play side-by-side with a friend, have them each make a fence and them compare them - let them discuss who has the longest fence, by how much etc
- reinforce skip counting by 2 - build the fence 2 sticks at a time - use dice - e.g. roll a 4, build 4 sets of 2 for a fence of 8
- make a pattern fence - use colored sticks and make repeating patterns - blue/yellow/blue/yellow for example