Peas and Carrots for Addition
Peas and Carrots is a free math activity in our store that will help students understand addition as a part-part-whole relationship. Perfect to use with sectioned plates and small equipment (counters, tokens, sticks and pom poms) or the printable templates in our file!
- take a small pile of carrots and peas
- place them in the divided section
- find the total
- label the total with a numeral card
- write numbers sentences using the + sign to record their work (optional)
Create the addends
- students place a numeral card down
- students create two addends for the total using peas and carrots
Making equal groups
- roll 2 dice
- read 2 dice as number problem: e.g. 3 groups of 2
- use peas or carrots to model the problem
- find the total and record on a whiteboard, e.g. 3 groups of 2 is 6
- use the pea and carrot tokens to make a variety of repeating and growing patterns
- students can take a numeral card and use it to make a rule for a growing pattern, e.g. if a 2 is chosen, the growing pattern must build by 2 each step
Included in the printable pack is a printable plate if you do not have access to a real one!
We hope you love using peas and carrots in your kindergarten or first grade math program. Hop over to TpT to find it in our store.